Nobody likes pests in their home. Unfortunately, pests such as rodents and cockroaches are common occurrences in Malaysia due to its tropical climate. Pests can not only be a nuisance but they can also cause serious damage to your property and even transmit diseases.
It is important to know what type of food and beverages attract these pesky creatures so that you can take steps to prevent them from entering your home. Here is a list of some of the most common food and beverages that may attract pests into your home in Malaysia.
Common pests found in Malaysian homes
It is important to know what type of pests might be attracted to your food or beverages. Here are some of the common pests that are found in Malaysian homes:
- Ants – These tiny creatures love sweet foods and can often be found near food sources such as fruit, sugary drinks, and honey.
- Cockroaches – These insects are attracted to many types of food and beverages including grains, meats, sweets, and beer.
- Rats – Rats can be attracted to food sources such as grains, fruits, and meats. They also have a fondness for sugary drinks and are often found near kitchen areas looking for food scraps.
- Fruit flies – These small flying insects are often drawn to rotting fruit and sweet beverages such as fruit juices, wine and beer.
Foods that attract pests
In Malaysia, common pests are attracted by a variety of food and beverage. Sweet and sugary treats including cookies, cakes and fruit will draw in ants, while termites love starchy foods such as rice, pasta or bread.
Rats or mice can be enticed by fattier food items like fried foods or bacon and even lose their inhibitions when alcoholic beverages such as beer and wine make an appearance.
Lastly, even our beloved four legged family members won’t escape the attention of pests– pet food is often targeted as they offer a high reward with low risk! With this knowledge in mind, it is important to store any foodstuffs that may bring these pests into your home properly to prevent infestations.
How to prevent pests from accessing food in your home
In Malaysia, pests are drawn to food sources like common staples such as rice, flour and cereals as well as exposed food items of all varieties.
According to the team from Fantastic Pest Control, there are some simple steps you can take to prevent pests from entering your home and scavenging for food
- Keep all food items in sealed containers or bags to keep the scent contained and away from curious pests
- Clean up spills, crumbs and grease as soon as they happen to avoid attracting potential visitors
- Dispose of kitchen scraps in covered bins and place them further from your home
- Regularly check for possible entry points such as cracks, crevices and holes where pests may enter
- Lastly, don’t forget to keep all pet food items sealed tightly or stored inside the house when not in use.
The Bottom Line
In conclusion, pests are a common problem in Malaysian homes due to the tropical climate and certain food and beverages that attract them. To keep these uninvited guests away from your home it is important to store any potential attractants properly, dispose of leftovers promptly without leaving them exposed, clean kitchen areas regularly and pest-proof the house by sealing cracks or openings. Taking all of these necessary preventative steps will help ensure that no unwanted critters come near your pantry or other food sources in your home.