If you like to make homemade treats for kids at breakfast time, they will really like these easy to make Crumb Cake Strawberry Muffins. They’re filled with freshly chopped strawberries that go really well together with the buttery crumble topping and the sweetness of the drizzle.
These homemade Crumb Cake Strawberry Muffins are made with fresh strawberries, topped with a crumble mix topping and decorated with vanilla drizzle! These easy strawberry muffins make a great breakfast, an easy brunch recipe, or an on the go snack or treat, for you and the kids.
Plus, this Strawberry Muffins recipe is really simple to make! The muffin batter can be made in just one bowl, and the crumb cake topping has only three ingredients and easy to make, that a child can make it. This is one recipe that will surely become a firm favorite, with everyone.
The amount of crumb topping to use once you add the batter to the molds I entirely up to you, but too much doesn’t exist, trust me on this. A crunchy top with a soft and fluffy center.
As the muffins rise in the oven, the topping disperses over the top of the muffins, creating a crumbly texture to the top of the muffins that gives each one a unique look. This recipe makes a batch of 18 muffins, which sounds a lot but they will disappear very quickly if your family and friends are like mine.
How to Make Crumb Cake Strawberry Muffins
Firstly, start off by preheating your oven to 400f and then line the muffin molds with paper liners.
In an electric mixer bowl, add all the dry ingredients and mix well on a low speed.
Now make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add all the wet ingredients. Mix on the lowest speed until the muffin batter is well combined and thick in appearance.
With the aid of a piping bag and a large plain nozzle, fill the prepared muffin paper liners, about 2/3 of the way full with the muffin batter and push in some cut strawberries.
Put to one side while we make the crumb cake topping to put on top.
In a separate bowl, mix flour and brown sugar together. Add soft butter and work together with your hands until medium-sized crumbs have been formed.
Generously sprinkle crumbs into each muffin, pressing the crumbs down lightly into the batter.
Bake the muffins for approximately 16-18 minutes, or until muffins are just golden brown and a skewer comes out completely clean.
Allow the muffins to cool, for a while, before decorating with the glaze.
To make the glaze, mix the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk together.
Now for the fun bit, drizzle the glaze over the Strawberry Crumb Cake Muffins and serve.
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 6 Tbsp sour cream
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups strawberries, chopped
- 6 Tbsp butter, melted
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a muffin tin with liners.
- In a bowl, mix flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk, vegetable oil, and two eggs. Mix until batter is just combined, it should be thick.
- Add in sour cream and vanilla extract. Mix until just combined.
- Add in strawberries, and mix.
- Fill muffin cups about ⅔ of the way full with the muffin batter (batter will make about 18 muffins or so). Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour and brown sugar together. Pour in melted butter and mix together until crumbs form.
- Generously sprinkle crumbs into each muffin, pressing the crumbs down lightly into the batter.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until muffins are just golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Mix powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk together. Drizzle the glaze over the muffins (it’s best to allow the muffins to cool about 5-10 minutes before adding the glaze).
If there are muffins left over (which I doubt very much), keep in an airtight container,
For a bit of zing, change the vanilla essence and milk for freshly squeezed lemon juice.