Many people prefer to start their day with a cup of invigorating, aromatic and tasty coffee, but its preparation does not always fit into the fast pace of our life. Brew coffee in a Turk or a geyser coffee maker for a long time; in addition, in a hurry, the drink can be burned, and the dishes then need to be washed (with proper absent-mindedness, perhaps also the stove). A capsule coffee machine is an excellent choice for solving these problems. It saves time and also produces quality coffee consistently. In this article, we will tell you in detail about the device of this device, and also present the top of the best capsule coffee machines for the home.
The principle of operation of the capsule coffee machine
A distinctive feature of capsule coffee machines are capsules – a consumable material on which the whole principle of operation is based. Capsules are small containers filled with different types of ground coffee. The variability is quite large, you can purchase capsules with special formulations for mochacino, cocoa and other drinks. They are hermetically sealed so that the taste of coffee does not deteriorate over time. Note that certain types of capsules are suitable for different brands of coffee machines. The prices for capsules vary depending on their manufacturer and price segment (regular, medium and premium capsules). The latter two can give the coffee the perfect taste, comparable to a drink prepared by a professional barista.
The process of making espresso with a capsule coffee machine is as follows:
- Water is poured into a special tank
- The capsule is loaded into the coffee machine
- The cooking process is started by pressing a button (in expensive capsule coffee machines, you can select the desired mode)
- Water heated to the ideal temperature under pressure enters the capsule through a special needle, the drink begins to brew
- Ready espresso is fed into the cup
Depending on the model of the coffee machine, it may also have a built-in cappuccino maker for frothing milk to prepare cappuccino, latte or other drinks.
Advantages of a capsule coffee machine
- Speed of preparation of the drink. Thanks to modern technology, the cooking process takes 1-2 minutes on average.
- Ease of use. Minimal efforts to prepare the capsule coffee machine for operation (pour water into the tank, place the capsules), full automation of the preparation of the drink, which does not require human intervention. Easy and quick cleaning of equipment (especially in the absence of a cappuccinatore). To use the machine, even minimal barista skills and any knowledge are not required – the machine will do everything for you.
- Consistent quality and taste of the drinks you receive. The capsule is hermetically sealed, so the quality of the coffee in it does not deteriorate over time. Taste and aroma remain unchanged because each capsule contains the optimal dose for the desired beverage. The capsules themselves do not require special storage conditions.
- Low cost. A good coffee machine, capable of delivering the same bright and rich taste as a capsule one, will cost much more.
- Compactness and noiselessness in comparison with other professional coffee machines.
Selection criteria for a capsule coffee machine
When compiling the top of the best capsule coffee machines for home, we focused on the following characteristics:
Power. One of the most important criteria when choosing a capsule coffee machine, the speed of preparation of the drink depends on the power, and the faster the espresso is prepared, the more aromatic and tasty it is. Good coffee requires at least 1200 watts of power.
Pump pressure. Like power, this criterion directly affects the speed of preparation and taste of the drink, the rate of water entering the capsule depends on the pressure. Recommended pressure is at least 15 bar.
Storage tank. This is the part of the coffee machine that requires care – it needs to be removed and rinsed, so it is worth choosing a model in which this process will be most simple. It is advisable to have a reservoir of at least 1 liter so as not to fill it up again.
Dimensions. For a home, you should choose a compact model so that such a wonderful unit fits into our harsh reality.
Process automation. Additional functions so as not to make unnecessary gestures. In some coffee machines, the capsule does not need to be removed after use, it is automatically dumped into a special container that can be emptied later.
Noise level. Quiet enough not to wake up sleeping household members.
When choosing a coffee machine, it is also worth paying attention to the capsules that it uses, since one type of capsule is suitable for each coffee machine. Different capsules have a specific set of advantages and disadvantages. Some of the most popular brands in Russia are Nespresso, Dolce Gusto, Tassimo and Cremesso. Let’s consider in more detail.
Keurig capsules are considered to be the best quality drinks, but capsules and coffee machines are on average more expensive compared to competitors. The technology supports the preparation of coffee at the pressure of the pumpss up to 19 bar for the richest flavor and aroma.
The best capsule coffee machines for home
3rd place – Essenza Mini Pure
Inexpensive and very compact capsule coffee machine, one of the best in terms of price-quality ratio. Uses Nespresso capsules. Pressure 19 bar. The control consists of 2 buttons: preparation of espresso (40 ml) or lungo (110 ml), however, each can be reprogrammed to suit your values of infusion. Due to the miniature size, the volume of the water tank is 0.6 l, which is enough for a couple of cups of coffee. The coffee machine is equipped with a container for 5-6 capsules. Easy to clean, rinsing is quick and convenient.
2nd place – Bosch TAS 7001EE / 7002 / 7004EE Tassimo
This coffee machine uses Tassimo capsules (T-discs), which have a unique technology. Each capsule has a barcode that contains information about the drink. The coffee machine reads the information and uses the exact amount of water and selects the ideal temperature for a specific capsule. There is a built-in function for automatic cleaning and descaling, for this a separate service T-disk is used. You can prepare lattes, cappuccino and cocoa using special capsules (no cappuccino maker).
1st place – Keurig K-Elite Coffee Maker
Stylish and compact capsule coffee machine with built-in cappuccino maker. To prepare coffee, 2 buttons are used: espresso 40 ml and lungo 110 ml. You can reset the default settings and program the desired amount of espresso or lungo (25 to 150 ml) yourself. The volume of the water jug is 1 liter. Maximum pressure 19 bar. The capsules used are Nespresso.
One of the main advantages is the preparation of milk drinks. The milk jug holds a maximum of 125 ml of milk, which is not that much and will only be enough for one person. The machine froths all the milk in the jug, be it 40 or 125 ml, there is no setting for the cappuccino maker. There is no button for automatic cleaning of the cappuccino maker, so this will have to be done manually and quite often.