Pumpkin Sugar Cookie Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting are the perfect dessert for Thanksgiving, Halloween or any other occasion. Made of homemade pumpkin puree and topped with cream cheese frosting, certainly will become your fall favorite!
Pumpkin Sugar Cookie Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting is very simple to make. As pumpkin season is officially opened, you can find a good pumpkin and make this super soft, chewy flavored bars. Top it with delicious cream cheese frosting and enjoy this completely irresistible fall treat!
Except for the pumpkin and cream cheese, you will need mostly standard ingredients for your Pumpkin Bars with Cheese Frosting (flour, sugar, eggs, spices, powdered sugar). Also, you’ll need an electric mixer, two bigger bowls and pan (9×13” or 10×15”). I prefer making my own, homemade pumpkin puree then use canned, bought in the supermarket. Depending on your time (you will need extra preparation time for homemade one) and season, you may choose canned puree option. I always vote for a healthier and tastier option! Besides, it is very easy to make it.
How to Make Pumpkin Sugar Cookie Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
Homemade Pumpkin Puree
Preheat oven to 365 degrees (185 degrees Celsius). Cut the pumpkin and remove seeds and pulp. Place pieces on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes until tender (check with a fork). Scrape pumpkin meat from the shell and make a puree in a blender.
To make Pumpkin Sugar Cookie Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting, start with cookie dough. In a big bowl, cream softened butter and granulated brown sugar (white, optional). Add eggs and vanilla and mix until fluffy. In the separate bowl whisk “dry” ingredients – flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices and add gradually to “wet” mixture (a half cup at a time, mixing between).
The dough should be heavy like brownie dough, for example. If it is too heavy, you may add one egg, or if it is too wet – add more flour. Bake dough in 9×13” pan about 35 minutes until tender (toothpick comes out clean when stuck in the middle). If you prefer thinner bars, use 10×15” pan, and bake it 20-25 minutes. Let it cool completely.
Crame cheese frosting and pumpkin bars go ideally together. The sweetness of your spiced bars is perfectly balanced with this delicious frosting. Beat softened butter and cream cheese with electric mixer on medium speed, until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla, and stir in powdered sugar, gradually. If your frosting seems runny – add more powdered sugar to thicken. If seems too thick, add some milk (a teaspoon at a time, mixing). Spread frosting over bars.
Decorate your delicious Pumpkin Sugar Cookie Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting sprinkling with cinnamon and refrigerate about 20 minutes, or eat immediately!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 4 cups flour
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- ¼ tsp. Ginger
- 8oz cream cheese (low fat), softened
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- Line a 9 x 13” cake pan (10 x 15”, for thinner bars) with parchment paper, spray with non-stick baking spray and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar (with mixer) until smooth. One at a time, add eggs, vanilla and pumpkin, mixing after each ingredient.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing. Dough will be heavy and sticky, like cookie dough. Spread in pan.
- Bake at 350 for about 35 minutes (20 mins. if you used 10x15 pan), until golden brown (a toothpick comes out clean when stuck in the middle). Let it cool.
- Frosting: Cream butter and cream cheese, then add vanilla and powdered sugar (gradually). Spread frosting over completely cooled bars. Sprinkle with cinnamon.