Caramel Apple Bread with Cinnamon and Nutmeg – delicious dessert, great for snacking or even breakfast! Moist, dense and flavorful quick Caramel Apple Bread topped with 3 ingredients and only 5 minutes to make the caramel glaze!
I think you will agree that the best smell of autumn is one that comes from the kitchen when making pumpkin and apple treats! 🙂 Caramel Apple Bread with Cinnamon and Nutmeg is a delicious dessert, snack, and yummy sweet breakfast. My sons favorite with orange juice or hot cocoa and I enjoy it with a cup of tea in the afternoon.
How to make Caramel Apple Bread with Cinnamon and Nutmeg?
Caramel Apple Bread is super easy to make. You will need mostly standard ingredients-butter, sugar, eggs, flour, milk, apples and from spices – cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg. 9 x 5” loaf pan. You don’t need an electric mixer to make it, but if you want, you can use it. If you prefer to spend even less baking time, make muffins – use a muffin pan and bake about 15-18 minutes.
I started by making Homemade Applesauce. Although this recipe could be made with canned applesauce, I am always making my own, without any added sugar. It takes just 10 minutes more, but it is a huge difference in taste and, of course, is healthier. Peeled, cored and sliced apples cook at the steam (or in the medium pot in a small quantity of water at low heat, covered with a lid) about 10 minutes. When cooked and cooled, move at a blender, add the juice of one lemon, sprinkle with cinnamon and blend. This kind of applesauce gives more moist and fresh taste of sweet Caramel-glazed Apple Bread.
For Caramel Apple Bread with Cinnamon and Nutmeg, I prefer Granny Smith apples – already known for pleasing acidic flavor, excellent for sauce, baking, even for freezing. Other type of apple ideal for baking recipes is Fuji, Jonathan or Jonagold. Pink Lady and Golden Delicious are very sweet and tasty, but they are not ideal for baking because they get squashy. If you decide combine apples for any reason – sweeter and softer use for applesauce and firm (diced) to throw into the dough. For applesauce, you need 3-4 medium apples (1pound), and that brings 1 1/3 cups applesauce.
Meanwhile, applesauce is cooling, prepare loaf pan and preheat the oven. Mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet (including applesauce) in another. Mix the two together. Dice 1 apple and stir in. Ready for oven :).
How to make perfect Caramel Glaze?
Have all your ingredients measured and ready. In a small saucepan at medium heat melt butter and add brown sugar gradually, stirring. Bring to boil (still at medium heat!) and let simmer about 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Add milk gradually, whisking until smooth and combined. Total cooking time should be about 5 minutes. Remove saucepan from the heat and let it cool slightly, gently whisking every 5-10 minutes, so that the sugar fully dissolves. Cooling time is about 30 mins (until caramel is thickened), but it is well worth the wait!
Pour Caramel glaze over the top of cooled bread.
To decorate Caramel Apple Bread with Cinnamon and Nutmeg you can use chopped or sliced toasted almonds.
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 cup homemade applesauce (3 big apples, juice of 1 lemon)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. cinamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 apple (peeled,cored and finely diced )
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1-2 tablespoon milk
- Make a quick, no sugar homemade applesauce: Core and cut 3 apples (into 8-slices each).Throw them in a medium pot and add ⅔ cup of water and squeeze in lemon juice. Sprinkle with cinnamon and cook for 10 minutes on medium-high heat, covered pot. Transfer to a blender, let it cool a little, and puree the applesauce.
- Line the 9 x 5” bread pan with parchment paper, spray with non-stick baking spay and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Add eggs, vanilla and applesauce, mixing.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing just enough to combine. Stir in diced (or grated) apples and transfer the batter into the pan.
- Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes, until golden brown (a toothpick comes out clean when stuck in the middle). Let it cool completely.
- Make the caramel glaze: Melt butter in a small saucepan on medium heat. Add in brown sugar, whisking constantly. Add milk and bring to boil (on medium heat!) and shimmer about 2 minutes continuing to whisk. Remove from the heat and let cool about 30 mins. Continue stirring while cooling (every 5-10 mins).
- Pour caramel glaze over the top of the apple bread and cool it in a fridge until set. Decorate with sliced toasted almonds. Slice and serve at room temperature!