Pecan Chocolate Christmas Shortbread Cookies – Lovely and crunchy Christmas Cookies with pecan core, drizzled with chocolate, very easy to make. Pecan Chocolate Shortbread Cookies are excellent on cold winter days with a cup of hot beverage. They are ideal for Christmas and other festive occasions because they can be prepared a few days earlier.
Every winter around Christmas I’m doing thematic biscuits. The recipe for Rum Pecan Chocolate Shortbread Cookies is from my notebook and it can be for all occasions only with different cookie cutters. The recipe is fantastic, simple and the cookies are soft and rusty. They stay soft and tasty after a few days, so, as many other biscuits are great for holidays, to make them in advance.
How Do You Make Pecan Chocolate Shortbread Cookies?
Shortbreads are really classic, old-fashioned cookies and so simple to make. Rum Pecan Chocolate Shortbread Cookies have just a few ingredients (they don’t even have any eggs in them), and minimum sugar added.
You will need a hand or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Start with pecans. Finely grind ½ cup of pecan halves, and the other half save for decoration. This recipe gives about 30 cookies and you should leave enough pecan halves for decoration afterward. This depends on the shape of your cutter and also on your creation.
In a large bowl mix pecans, flour, sugar, and cornstarch. Add the butter, oil, and rum and turn your mixer on medium-low speed and let this cream together until the dough is formed. Shape the dough into a disc, take a piece of plastic wrap and refrigerate wrapped dough for 30 min (or until it gets firm).
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and put the rack in the center position. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Lightly flour the surface and the rolling pin, and roll out dough about ¼ inch thick. While rolling out, re-flour the surface and rolling pin if needed, to make sure that it doesn’t stick.
For easier cutting, dip the cutter in the flour before cutting. Try to keep cut dough shapes as closest is possible, to have as lower waist as possible. Shape and roll out the remains of the dough until you use it all. Move your cookies over baking sheets and place saved pecan halves on the top.
Bake your Rum Pecan Chocolate Shortbread Cookies until they are lightly golden brown around the edges. Let cookies cool and set on the baking sheet, and then remove and leave them to cool completely. Use the parchment paper from baking and place the cookies over, to decorate.
Melt the chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat, and drizzle over cookies. Let it cool or eat immediately.
- 1 cup pecan halves
- ¾ cup unbleached all-purpose flour (+ more for dusting)
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp hazelnut oil (optional)
- 2 tsp rum
- 60g dark chocolate, melted
- Finely grind ½ cup of pecan halves.
- In a large bowl mix pecans, flour, sugar, and cornstarch. Add the butter, oil, and rum and mix until the dough begins to form. Using your hands, shape the dough into a disc, cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Dust with flour surface and roll out the dough. Cut cookies with desired cutters. Move cookies on the baking sheet and place pecan halves on the cookies.
- Bake 15-20 minutes (depend on the thickness of the cookies).
- In a small saucepan, over low heat, melt chocolate. When the cookies are cooled completely, drizzle the melted chocolate over.