A beautiful arrangement of Stacked Christmas Tree Sugar Cookies, layered with vanilla buttercream frosting, perfect for festive celebrations.
This fun recipe for Christmas tree sugar cookies is a great project for Christmas time when you are in a baking mood. The tree shapes are made of sugar cookie dough and feature vanilla frosting.
If you already have a good sugar cookie recipe, then you already have a good base. These soft and chewy sugar cookies are made by rolling three different sizes and holding the three layers together with some green-colored vanilla buttercream frosting.
These sweet treats not only taste delicious but also offer a wonderful way to engage in holiday baking with friends and family. You can involve everyone in the decorating process, turning it into a festive and memorable group activity during the Christmas season.
Whether you’re a skilled baker or just starting out, Stacked Sugar Cookie Christmas Trees are a delightful way to spread Christmas cheer through the joy of baking and sharing delicious, artfully decorated treats with your loved ones.
Why We Love Sugar Christmas Cookies?
- Can use homemade sugar cookies or store-bought cookies
- Easy to Assemble
- A creative stacked Christmas cookie
What If I Don’t Have Cookie Cutters?
Here is what I used for all the cookie cutters for these cookies.
- A round glass for the bottom cookie
- Lid to a spice jar
- Measuring cups
How to Store Sugar Cookies?
You can store decorated or plain classic sugar cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week
Elevate your holiday celebrations with our Stacked Christmas Tree Sugar Cookies recipe. Crafted into whimsical Christmas tree shapes and layered with velvety vanilla buttercream frosting, these cookies are a festive delight. They will be the star of your cookie table and are well worth the work for a big payoff. Enjoy!
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg, (large)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Green gel icing color
- Christmas sprinkles, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 °F with a rack in the center. Whisk together flour with baking powder and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Using a stand-up or handheld mixer, beat the butter together with sugar.
- Add vanilla, almond extract and egg to the mixture and beat to combine.
- Add flour in 3 parts until fully incorporated.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts. On a lightly floured surface, roll into ¼-inch thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut out three size of cookies
- Bake cookies on a parchment or silicone-lined baking sheet at 350˚F for 7-8 minutes, or until the edges are just beginning to turn golden.
- Let the cookies cool for about 5 minutes on the baking sheet before moving them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat the butter until smooth then add powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and 2 tablespoons of water and mix until smooth.
- Add green gel icing color to the frosting and mix until you have your desired shade of green.
- Fit a piping bag with a medium sized star piping tip and fill the bag with the green frosting.
- You’ll need one of each of the three sizes of cookie, to put the cookies together
- Pipe a swirl of frosting onto the largest cookie, then add the second medium sized cookie on top. Pipe a swirl of frosting onto the second cookie, then top with the third and smallest cookie. Pipe a swirl on top of the final cookie and decorate with sprinkles