College life challenges do not only end on the papers. Having the time to prepare quality and nutritious meals is another problem that many college and university students face. It is common to find students trying to survive on either noodles or some snacks from fast foods cafes by the roadside.
A vegan student may find it difficult to sail through because it is rare to come across restaurants that serve their preferred dishes. In some cases, vegan restaurants are quite expensive for students to live on. Cooking at your hostel can help you to prepare great vegan student meals while cutting down on the cost of eating at the university.
In this post, we take a look at the various top student recipes you can try out for yourself. Being vegan helps you to improve both healthwise and academically. They are also quick to prepare, and you can be sure to have your meal ready in a few minutes without having to spend a lot of cash. Following are the recipes to start with as a college vegan.
1. Cheese with Scrambled Eggs
This meal takes less than 5 minutes to prepare. The ingredients are also readily available in your nearest shop, and they are cheap. For a serving of one person, you will need 2 eggs, ½ semi-hard cheese, 1 tablespoon of butter oil, and some salt and pepper as per your taste.
- On medium heat, put the butter on the frying pan.
- Break the two eggs in a dish and use a fork to beat quickly.
- Add your pepper and salt into the egg, and pour the mix on the frying pan with ready oil.
- Layer your cheese on top of the egg.
- Using a spatula, pull the eggs from the edge of the pan as they begin to solidify. Repeat the procedure for about 2-3 minutes without increasing the heat.
- Once all the egg becomes solid, remove it from the fire and transfer it to your serving plate.
You can serve the cheese scrambled eggs with hot toast bread. It makes up for a staple food when you want to eat healthy at the university.
2. Crispy Tortilla Pizza
Vegans can also enjoy the wonderful taste of pizza. The food takes about 25 minutes to prepare. This is a great option for students who choose custom writing essays to save some time to go around in search of a vegan student meal plan. The ingredients of one crispy tortilla pizza include one tortilla, a little tomato puree, a quarter cheese ball, a tomato, an onion, some chili, and a little fresh basil.
- Spread the tomato puree on the tortilla.
- Add the basil on your tortilla.
- Slice the cheese to make thin layers and put them on your tortilla.
- Now cut your veggies into small pieces and add them evenly.
- Cook the pizza in the oven at 360 (180) for 10 – 15 minutes. See to it that you do not overcook it lest you burn the tortillas.
- Serve your pizza vegan student meals and enjoy.
3. Broccoli Salad
With a high source of protein and low in carbohydrates, the broccoli salad makes a quality meal for a vegan student. It is quick to prepare (about 10-12 minutes). This wonderful meal is sometimes overlooked and you may not find it in a vegan student cookbook. We bring you the details for enjoying a nice dish while saving your time and money eating at the campus.
The ingredients of the recipe include a bunch of broccoli, a tablespoon of cooking oil, a tablespoon of sesame seeds, some onions, peanut, a little water, sauce, and enough salt and pepper.
- Cut the broccoli making small florets and wash them thoroughly.
- Get your pan to medium heat and add some cooking oil. Fry the broccoli in the oil for one minute.
- Add 2-3 tablespoonfuls of water and cover the pan with a lid. Leave the content to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the sesame seeds, sauce, peanuts, and the sliced onions. Stir the ingredients slowly for 2 minutes.
- Add some salt and pepper to your taste and serve.
You can enjoy this meal while hot or wait for it to cool down.
4. Banana Egg Pancakes
Are you in a hurry and want to prepare some snacks for your breakfast coffee? This two-ingredient meal comes among the best student recipes. It is quick to prepare and fast to access the readily available ingredients. All you need is one banana and two eggs for one pancake.
- Crush the bananas in a dish to a smooth pulp.
- Break the eggs and whisk them in a bowl to make it an even mixture and pour it into the banana paste.
- Heat a little oil on a pan at a moderate temperature and fry the mixture.
- Serve the pancake once cooked.
A banana egg pancake is a healthy option for college students who have only a short time for cooking but want a healthy meal. There are many other foods and student vegan recipes you will find effective for your daily college life. Try out any of the junk-free recipes to make your life smoother.
The Author – Sandra Hayward
Sanda is a food and nutrition expert teaching people how to live healthy without having to use supplements. Natural and healthy foods make up for all the needs for healthy living at the university. Sandra recommends that college students come up with a vegan student meal plan to avoid falling for the starchy foods by the roadside when they run out of time.