CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM DONUT CAKE – Chocolate buttercream and homemade mini donuts are mind-blowing treat for all donut lovers!
Homemade donuts are probably easier to make than you think and you can save a trip to the donut shop. I finally bought a couple of mini doughnut pans this week so I decided to put them to good use and make these chocolate buttercream cake with mini doughnuts. They are little bites of heaven with chocolate buttercream.
My kids loved these! It is the perfect chocolate buttercream donut cake recipe: quick and easy, moist and fluffy and oh so chocolate! I don’t know exactly what it is about donut makes them so much more delicious than other sweet treats, but whatever it is fine with me. I’ve actually shared my love of donuts with you several times, like when I shared these yummy Donuts with Chocolate Topping with you, or my Pumpkin Cinnamon Sugar Donuts or Strawberry Donuts.
To be honest, I don’t think I’ve met a donut recipe I haven’ liked. These chocolate buttercream donut cake are easy to make and so cute and yummy. This towering cake is made from layers of homemade mini donuts and perfect chocolate buttercream frosting. You can fill cake with whatever flavor of whipped cream you like but this chocolate buttercream is perfect in flavor and fluffy in consistency. It is perfect for frosting just about any dessert you can think.
These mini donuts develop a wonderfully moist texture after sitting in the refrigerator with the chocolate buttercream. The cake slices cleanly and holds its shape well and it really can be served just like any other layer cake. Makes the perfect sweet treat and best of all, the chocolate buttercream and sprinkles makes it a fun and delicious cake! Enjoy!
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 6 oz bittersweet chocolate-finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degree. Lightly oil mini donut pan and set aside
- In a medium bowl mix together the butter and sugar until fluffy
- Add eggs, milk, baking powder and vanilla, salt and mix until just combined
- Stir in flour and mix until just incorporated
- Fill the donuts pan about ½ of the way
- Bake for 8-10 minutes
- Remove from oven, let cool for 5 minutes and remove donuts from pan
- Repeat with remaining batter
- In a medium bowl combine butter, powdered sugar, cocoa, vanilla, heavy cream and salt, beat for 5-7 minutes until light and fluffy
- Add more powdered sugar to thicken and stiffen or more cream to thin frosting if you want
- Arrange a ring of mini donuts around the edge of the 8-inch springform pan and fill in the center with more donuts
- Top this layer of donuts with a thick layer of chocolate buttercream, spreading it out almost to the edge of the cake
- Add another layer of donuts and repeat to alternate layers of chocolate buttercream and donuts until you have three layers of donuts
- Frost the top of the cake with remaining chocolate buttercream
- Place the cake in the refrigerator for at least one hour
- When the topping is set, run a thin knife around the sides and remove the springform pan sides
- In a medium saucepan stir together cream, chocolate and sugar on low heat until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth
- Cool and pour over the cake then sprinkle with sprinkles or any other garnishes if desired
Recipe makes 55-60 mini donuts