CHOCOLATE MINT POKE CAKE – Best, rich chocolate cake, creamy chocolate pudding and light mint cheesecake topping! Perfect for all occasion, guaranteed to be a hit with your chocolate and mint loving friends and family!
Chocolate Mint Poke Cake is moist chocolate cake with rich chocolate pudding and mint cheesecake layer. This decadent dessert is the best cake recipe for chocolate and mint lovers!
One of my favorite desserts is poke cake, but every so often I have a comment wanting to know what it means. A poke cake is exactly what it sounds like. You bake a cake and then while it is warm, you poke it with a wooden spoon. This creates holes for filling to collect. I usually use pudding for filling.
This Chocolate Mint Poke Cake starts with chocolate cake, I make a homemade chocolate cake for this recipe but you can use cakes mix if you want. When the cake is baked, poke it with the end of a wooden spoon.
Then whisk together the pudding mix and milk and pour it into the holes. Let it cool for several hours to allow pudding to settle and set up, then made the mint cheesecake layer and spread over the top of the cake and sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles.
I love making poke cake, among my favorite, include Christmas Red Velvet Poke Cake. They are incredibly easy and one of the best things ever. If you have never made one, make this the one you try. So decadent, rich and good! This Chocolate Mint Poke Cake has it all, the classic look, taste and simplicity thanks to using a pudding mix.
Another great recipe with mint is The Best Mini Mint Cheesecake and No Bake Oreo Mint Cheesecake, you simply must try! Lovely chocolate and mint cream cheese flavored, guaranteed to be a hit with your friends and family, perfect for all occasions. Enjoy!
- 1½ cups flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup brewed coffee (or 1 cup boiling water if you don't like coffee)
- 2 boxes 3.9 ounces instant chocolate pudding
- 4 cups milk
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- Green food coloring
- 2 cups Cool Whip-thawed
- Chocolate sprinkles, optional
- Chocolate syrup, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking dish, set aside
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda
- Add eggs, milk, oil, coffee and vanilla extract and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes until combined (the batter will look runny)
- Pour into prepared baking dish and bake 30-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean
- Remove the cake from the oven
- Use the handle of a wooden spoon to gently poke holes all over the top of the cake
- Whisk together the pudding mix and milk until well blended
- Pour pudding over warm cake, trying to get the pudding in the holes, you can also tap the baking dish on the counter to help the pudding settle into the holes
- Refrigerate cake for several hours to allow pudding to settle and set up
- In a large bowl, beat softened cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth
- Add mint extract (add more mint extract as desired for your personal taste)
- Add Cool Whip and mix to combine then add green food coloring (add a few drops at a time, to the desired color) and gently stir to fold in the color
- Spread the mint cheesecake layer over the top of the cake and sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles and drizzle chocolate syrup if desired
- Place in the fridge for few hours until set