CHOCOLATE MOCHA LAYER CAKE – Rich and delicious chocolate cake with perfect mocha buttercream! Favorite cup of coffee in cake form a truly decadent treat!
Chocolate cake with Mocha buttercream frosting is a chocolate lovers dream! Do you love chocolate and espresso or coffee? My family and friends love so much. It was super easy to make and it turned out amazing.
It’s rich, moist and loaded with Mocha buttercream frosting. Once you try it, you’ll know why this Chocolate Mocha Layer Cake is rich and flavorful. A rich and moist coffee flavored cake that tastes just like your favorite cup of coffee in cake form.
It is not very easy to find a moist and delicious cake every time we want something for dessert. I always look for something interesting and I don’t like to make something I have made before. Chocolate is always a real choice and I know that everyone will eat chocolate dessert and enjoy in it.
Chocolate is an ingredient which will be part of my kitchen forever because we are real chocolate lovers. You need perfect dessert which you will enjoy and surprise your family and friends, so don’t look for anything else I have the right recipe for you. It is so nice, moist delicious and everyone who has tasted this recipe liked it very much.
I must say that I really think chocolate cakes are the perfect choice for every occasion so that’s why there are so many recipes and combinations with chocolate. This cake looks like it is hard to make but I know that you will be surprised how it is easy when you start making it.
Chocolate Mocha Layer Cake is a most amazing cake I have ever made! Incredible chocolate dessert and a real hit for chocolate lovers. The perfect combination of chocolate and Mocha buttercream frosting!
Anyone who has tasted this Chocolate Mocha Layer Cake has only positive words for it and I am happy because I have the opportunity to share with you one of my favorite chocolate recipes. I am sure that you will eat more than one slice of cake. Enjoy!
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup chocolate milk
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 to 5 cups powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 4 ounces, bittersweet chocolate chips, or chopped chocolate
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Chocolate covered espresso beans, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease and flour two round 8-in. cake pans, set aside
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt, set aside
- In a large bowl, with electric mixer combine butter and sugar until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes, add melted chocolate and eggs, beat to combine
- Add chocolate milk, baking soda and hot water, stir to combine
- Gradually add flour mixture and mix just until combined
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
- Remove from the oven and allow for about 10 minutes remove from the pan and cool completely
- In a medium bowl, combine butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, heavy cream and salt and beat for 4 to 5 minutes until light and fluffy
- Add instant espresso powder and mix until combined
- Add more powdered sugar as needed for thicker frosting or add heavy cream a little at a time to thin frosting
- Place chocolate chips into a bowl, bring heavy cream just barely to a simmer and pour over chocolate chips
- Stir with a spatula until combined and smooth
- Allow to cool and thicken slightly before using on cake
- Place one of the chocolate cake rounds on a serving platter
- Spread a thin layer of Mocha buttercream frosting over the cake
- Set another cake layer on top of the filling and spread Mocha buttercream frosting over the entire cake
- Spread a thin layer of glaze across the top of the cake and use a spoon to create drips down the sides
- Let the glaze set, then pipe dollops of Mocha buttercream on the edge using a closed star tip
- Top each dollop with a chocolate covered espresso beans if desired