There’s nothing better to start your day with than a trusty omelet. They’re healthy and delicious, quick and simple, and super easy to make. Whether you like yours filled with melted cheese or topped with salsa, there’s endless ways to customize these ridiculously classic dishes to your own individual liking.
If you’re looking for some unusual, out-of-the-ordinary omelet recipes to spice up your next breakfast or Sunday Brunch, keep reading to see some of our favorites from the…and be sure to give them a try.
Spanish Potato Omelet
This omelet makes good use of healthy vegetables and beautiful golden Yukon potatoes, creating a light and fluffy breakfast dish that packs all the veggies and nutrients, protein and crunchy carbs you need to fuel your day…all into one dish. Traditionally called Tortilla de Patatas in Spain, this is a classic Tapa that’s sure to please. It’s made in a cast iron pan, too – which means it just has that unbeatable “traditional” feel.
- 1 large potato
- 1 large yellow onion
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 TSP salt
- 1 TSP oregano
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- 1 cup spinach or
- Peel and slice potatoes into round slices. Chop or dice onion. In a small cast-iron skillet, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- When oil is glistening, add potatoes and onion and cook tender and browned. Add ½ tsp salt and cup of spinach. Cook spinach down.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl
- Pour eggs into skillet along with onions, potatoes and spinach, and the rest of the olive oil. Add cilantro and oregano.
- Cook eggs and potatoes over medium low heat until bottom is browned and eggs are cooked all the way through and fluffy.
- Remove skillet from heat and let rest. Cut in slices or in half and serve on plate.
Spinach, Herb and Goat Cheese Omelet
Here’s a super-tasty and fun way to add some veggies and healthy cheese to your breakfast. This omelet is a bit more work, but the taste is SO worth the effort.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon fresh Oregano
- 1/4 cup goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper
- Beat eggs in a bowl with a wire whisk. Add the 1/2 teaspoons pepper and salt.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in an omelet pan over medium heat. Add bell pepper, cilantro and oregano and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour remaining olive oil into skillet. Pour in egg mixture and let egg mixture set slightly (do not stir).
- Using a spatula, lift up edges of omelet and tip the pan so uncooked eggs run to side.
- Add cheese evenly throughout pan and cook until eggs are browned and cooked thoroughly.
- Carefully slide omelette onto plate and serve topped with more goat cheese. For even more healthy flavor, add salami and salsa.