Bacon Wrapped Sweet Chicken Bites are perfectly easy and absolutely “must” finger-food appetizer for the game day, gatherings or parties, or quick delicious dinner! Add the basil and honey to the coating of these spiced chicken cubes wrapped in bacon, and fully enjoy these crispy bites!
A game day is coming! And what’s a Super Bowl without chicken!? Or, better to say -what’s a game day without Bacon Wrapped Sweet Chicken Bites!? This recipe has become absolutely a must for game watching. If paired with Cheddar dip, Guacamole salsa, and the beer- you already have a score!
On the other hand, if you are not such a fan of football, make a quick and delicious dinner for your family, or take this yummy appetizer to a “take the food” party, and it will be an absolute hit!
How do you make Bacon Wrapped Sweet Chicken Bites?
This recipe yields 30 wraps. For game day or gathering, you’ll have to double or triple the recipe!
You can make these ahead of time and store in the refrigerator. Also, once made, they stay good reheated. Cover them with a foil during reheating.
The best thing about Bacon Wrapped Sweet Chicken Bites is that you can modify it to your individual taste. I like a combination of black ground pepper and cayenne, but you can modify the recipe and use your favorite BBQ sauce or chili powder, and increase or reduce cayenne. To the usual recipe I added dry basil, it gives a special flavor. Can also be used “Provence herbs” mixture. Combine cut chicken breasts with spices, herbs, and sugar, then wrap them in bacon. I usually cut the bacon strips in halves, because I like ticker bacon wrap. Secure with a toothpick.
How to bake Bacon Wrapped Sweet Chicken Bites?
You will need a cooling rack, baking sheet, and tinfoil. Line a baking sheet pan with foil, grease the foil well and place the cooling rack (lightly greased) on the top.
Caramelizing sugar is always tricky, and here, during baking, you have to be very attentive to avoid sugar burns at the pan below. The thing that helps is that surface below (foil) should be well greased/oiled.
Another ingredient that I like to add over the wrapped chicken bites is honey. It gives that sticky-sweet touch to these adorable bites. For the same reason (to avoid burning), if you opt for honey drizzle, you should do it during the last 10 minutes of the baking time. The meat will already drain the juices on the baking sheet below, and the honey will just begin to caramelize.
Total baking time is about 30 minutes, or until bacon is crisped, and chicken is cooked.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (2-3 average sized), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 oz sliced bacon, cut into halves
- 2 teaspoon dry basil
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (or more, up to taste)
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- Honey to drizzle (optional)
- Line a baking sheet pan with aluminum foil and place a cooling rack on the top. Lightly grease the rack and well grease/oil the pan below (to prevent dropped sugar burn), and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl combine dry basil, ground black pepper, brown sugar, and cayenne pepper. Add cut chicken breasts and combine with mixture.
- Wrap a slice of bacon around each chicken cube and secure with a toothpick.
- Bake at 350 F, for about 30 minutes, until bacon is crisped, and chicken is ready (careful to not let the brown sugar blacken and burn)
- (Option with honey: Bake 20 minutes at 350F, drizzle with a tiny bit of honey and bake up to 10 minutes more)