Chocolate Turtle Poke Cake is an amazing poke cake loaded with caramel, chocolate, pecans, and chocolate chips! It is decadent, rich, easy, and delicious!
Chocolate Turtle Poke Cake is a moist chocolate cake soaked with caramel flavored sweetened condensed milk and topped with chocolate frosting, mini chocolate chips, chopped pecans, and drizzle with caramel syrup! It is so easy to make and a huge hit at parties!
I love making poke cake, among my favorites include Christmas Red Velvet Poke Cake and Chocolate Mint Poke Cake. This is one of the best cakes I have ever made and we absolutely loved it. I love turtle anything, decadent chocolate, sweet caramel contrasted with crunchy pecans and you have the perfect dessert. If you have never made one, make this the one you try. So decadent, rich, and good!
How to Make Chocolate Turtle Poke Cake?
This turtle poke cake couldn’t be simpler to make!
Chocolate Turtle Poke Cake starts with an easy chocolate cake:
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda
- Add eggs, milk, oil, coffee, and vanilla extract and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes until combine (the batter will look runny)
- Pour into a prepared baking dish and bake 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool for 10 minutes
- Then you poke holes in the top with a wooden spoon handle. Pour caramel flavored sweetened condensed milk over cake and spread all around.
- Refrigerate for an hour.
- Then top with chocolate topping and sprinkle with pecans, chocolate chips and drizzle with caramel syrup
These poke cakes have the perfect combination of textures: fudgy, gooey, and crunchy, basically a dream dessert!
Can I Make Chocolate Turtle Poke Cake Ahead of Time?
You can make just the Chocolate Turtle Poke Cake without the extra caramel topping and chopped pecans and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to serve, thaw the poke cake overnight in the refrigerator and then bring them to room temperature on the counter before serving
This cake would be perfect for a special occasion or birthday and is sure to please a crowd! It is very rich, so even though the serving size is 12, but you could definitely cut the pieces even smaller. So many textures and flavors in every bite! Enjoy!
- 1½ cups flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup brewed coffee (or 1 cup boiling water if you don't like coffee)
- 1 (14) oz can Caramel Flavored Sweetened Condensed Milk
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Mini chocolate chips, optional
- Chopped pecans, optional
- Caramel syrup, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking dish, set aside
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda
- Add eggs, milk, oil, coffee and vanilla extract and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes until combine (the batter will look runny)
- Pour into prepared baking dish and bake 30-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool 10 minutes
- Use the handle of a wooden spoon to gently poke holes all over the top of the cake
- Pour can of Caramel Flavored Sweetened Condensed Milk over the top of cake, spread to make sure it gets into all the holes
- Put cake in refrigerator for 1 hour
- In a saucepan, combine milk, butter and sugar over medium heat
- Bring to a rolling boil and boil 30 seconds
- Remove from heat and add chocolate chips
- Whisk until smooth and shiny and immediately pour over the cake
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips, chopped pecans and drizzle with caramel syrup