Homemade Soft Pretzels are easy to make and the perfect party food! Salty, buttery, and warm, soft pretzels are perfect for Game Day or just for a fun afternoon snack!
Every time my children ask me to make Homemade Soft Pretzels I can’t resist.
I know that many of us don’t know to make a good mixture so today I am going to share with you the best recipe. I was thinking about sharing this recipe because there are plenty of similar ones out there. I really like this Soft Pretzels recipe, so I must share it with you.
Using a stand mixer and simple ingredients, you can have these Homemade Soft Pretzels on the table fast.
How to Make Homemade Soft Pretzels?
This recipe comes together very fast so it’s nice to be prepared.
To start, you will make your dough, you will combine yeast, water, sugar, salt, and flour in a bowl. The dough will rise for about 15-20 minutes. The longest part of making homemade soft pretzels is letting the dough rest for 15-20 minutes. This time allows the yeast to work its magic and gives the dough a soft, tender, and chewy crumb. While the dough rests, I maximize my time by preparing the next step which is the baking soda bath.
The water mixture is simply water with baking soda. The baking soda bath is what gives pretzels their distinct flavor, exterior texture, and shine. The alkali solution is what gives the pretzel that nice, deep brown color. As you pull the pretzels out of the baking soda bath, the aroma actually smells like a soft pretzel.
Place a pretzel onto a large slotted spatula and dip into the boiling water for 20-30 seconds, gently remove with a spatula allowing excess water to drip off
Place on the prepared baking sheet and shape back to pretzel shape if needed
Sprinkle with coarse sea salt and bake pretzels for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown, when the pretzels come out of the oven, all I have left to do is brush melted butter onto each of the pretzels
These Homemade Soft Pretzels are best served warm and fresh out of the oven but will keep for about 2 days stored at room temperature in an airtight container.
It is impossible to resist these Homemade Soft Pretzels! Salty, buttery, and warm, soft pretzels are perfect for Game Day or just for a fun afternoon snack! Enjoy!
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup of warm water (110°-115°F)
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups of water
- ¼ cup baking soda
- ¼ cup melted butter
- Coarse sea salt, optional
- In the bowl of your stand mixer place 1 cup warm water, sprinkle the top of the water with the yeast packet
- Let it dissolve for about 2 minutes, once dissolved add in the softened butter, brown sugar, salt, and 2 cups of the flour
- Using a dough hook attachment mix on medium-low speed until a sticky dough comes together and the dough is smooth
- Stir in any remaining flour, ¼ cup at a time until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl and when touched with a finger, does not stick and springs back lightly when touched
- Place in a lightly greased bowl and cover with a towel to rest for 15-20 minutes
- Preheat oven to 450°F, line 2 baking sheets with silicone liners or parchment paper
- Turn the dough out onto a surface and punch dough down a couple of times to break up any air pocket
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces with a pizza cutter
- Using your palms and the heels of your hands, roll each piece into a long rope, about 15" long on a clean work surface (do not flour your work surface as this will prevent the stretch of your dough)
- Shape the rope into a circle then twist the ends where they overlap, then flip the twisted ends over the circle pinching the ends into the circle to form a pretzel shape
- In a large saucepan, whisk 4 cups water and baking soda, bring to a boil
- Place a pretzel onto a large slotted spatula and dip into the boiling water for 20-30 seconds, gently remove with a spatula allowing excess water to drip off
- Place on a prepared baking sheet and shape back to pretzel shape if needed
- Sprinkle with coarse sea salt and repeat with remaining pretzels
- Bake pretzels for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown
- Brush with melted butter while still warm
- Serve warm or room temperature
Leave a Reply